Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Night Falls Into the Sky



Over the bridge hold flecks of light,
Connected to ground and grass,
Buildings with flashing bulbs,
El
C-
O-
R-
T-
E-
Z.


Air chills,
Feet quicken,
A plane flies overhead,
Leaving whirling dust in its wake.

A dead cabbie sings in my ear,
“The embers float on the ground…”

A rotting tree,
Stretches its creaking limbs into the night,
And I look for the Cheshire Cat.
Surely he waits for me there.

At the corner I hold onto the pole,
And look up.
This man-made thing.
This God-made being.
Are the mice asleep in their stoplight?

Elders dine on French cuisine,
And a BMW drives slowly, shakily by.
Who is the man inside?

The temple is being rebuilt,
And this morning I’m asked for patience.
Like the farmer who waits for precious fruit,
I wait for healing.
And I repent,
That refreshment may come.

My balcony is warm,
Candles flicker brightly.
Lanterns shine overhead,
And the bougainvillea clings to the white embers,
And the night falls into the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment